The Q&A Archives: Moving Hydrangeas

Question: I have tried for many years to grow hydrangeas..For some reason I would have beautiful heathly looking bushes with not blooms (flowers). Then after inquiring I found out that I was pruning and mulching them good in the fall. This season I did not prune until the Spring and then only cut off the old parts. I did have some beautiful blooms, just not very many. I now realize since they've gotten bigger that they need more space that they are entirely too close to each other...QUESTION??? When should I move them? and does it effect the color of the blooms if I have several of different colors in the same flower bed or should I group colors??? As I said not all bloom this time, but some was so very close to other? Thank You Esther Harrell

Answer: It will be easiest on your plants if you move them while they are dormant (winter). Now that you've discovered the best time and method to prune, you should have lots of blooms on your plants. The flower color on some types of hydrangeas depends upon the soil pH. I'd transplant the hydrangeas and then wait to see if the colors change. If so, you can apply either sulfur (for blue flowers) or lime (for pink flowers) to the soil in the very early spring to change the color of that year's bloom.