The Q&A Archives: Cypress shrubs turning brown

Question: What is the likely cause for 26 year old 2 1/2' tall cypress shrubs to die successively from east to west, two months apart, in a Burbank, California location with morning shade and afternoon full direct sun. Would the cause (if disease) likely preclude replanting with the same species? Could this be irrigation related? What would be a recommended replacement option?

Answer: It may be that your plants have outlived their normal lifespans and that's why they are dying. If you've changed your watering practices (amount, frequency, source) over the past 3-4 months, it may have affected your shrubs, or there may be an insect infestation (you'll need to carefully check for mites, etc.). Aside from these factors, I can think of no reason for mature cypresses to die off. I think you can safely replant healthy cypresses in their places. Just make sure the drainage is adequate (to avoid root rot). Best wishes with your landscape!