The Q&A Archives: growth hormone

Question: I have heard that you can take a stem from a plant or tree with a few leaves, and dip it in a growth hormone that forces it to make roots, then just put in soil to start it growing. I would like to get some, if it isn't too terribly expensive. How and where can I get some?
Thanks. JoAnn

Answer: Many plants can be propagated by tip cuttings. The general procedure is to remove the lower leaves from the cutting, dip the cut end into a rooting hormone, then stick it into prepared potting mix. The plant should be kept in indirect light with the soil slightly damp. There are many different techniques for doing this, and some plants root more easily than others. Rooting hormones (one brand name for example is Rootone) are sold at many garden centers. Here are some more detailed tips on starting plants from cuttings to give you an idea of how to proceed.

You may need to cut and paste the url into your browser to make it work correctly.

You might also consider layering.

Good luck with your project!

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Shamrock Zinfandel"