The Q&A Archives: Japanese maple in containers

Question: Hi,

I bought 2 of your 10 gallon Japanese Maple(Crimson queen) trees from a retailer that sells your trees. The trees both of which are crimson queen are the 10 gallon staked type and were over $230 each. I plan to keep these indefinitely in containers since I do not have a place to plant them. I have some questions regarding the 2 trees that I bought as I want to take good care of them.

1)How long have these been growing in these 10 gallon containers with you, the retailer got them this year?

2) When should I repot them? i.e how long will the current soil last before requiring a repot?

3) What kind of soil is it in currently? I want to give it the same soil when I repot.

4)Were these grown in the ground before being moved to the 10 gallon containers or have they been in containers all their lives? and how old are these 10 gallon trees?