The Q&A Archives: Anything else that cause fruit drop on Meyer Lemon?

Question: Hello again -

My lemon gets more than 6 hours sun, the soil is consistently moist, it has been fertilized all-purpose fish emulsion and is producing lovely green growth. I know that a young tree will take a few years to set fruit while it develops its canopy but my tree is about 5-6 years old now and last year produced a couple dozen lemons. The only thing it is suffering from right now is a bout with citrus leafminer.
Do I need to change my fertilizer? Higher phospherous?

Thanks for all your help!

Answer: It sounds as though your tree is receiving all the necessary elements to keep it healthy and happy. Your fertilizer is just fine - I wouldn't change a thing. Leafminers shouldn't affect the fruiting ability. If your tree produced fruit last year but dropped all the fruit this year, I wonder if it has gone into a cycle of alternate bearing. Alternate bearing (fruiting every other year) can become a problem for some types of citrus. Trees that alternately bear normally crop lightly (10 to 25 percent of normal crop) following years when crops are heavy. Wish I knew for sure! Your tree should flower again this year. Let's hope it holds its fruit!