The Q&A Archives: amaryllis bulbs

Question: I have three amaryllis bulbs in the yard that I need to know when they can be transplanted and about how much sun light is required each day. I had only one plant to bloom this year and only one last year. Thanks for your time and information concerning this matter!

Answer: Amaryllis belladonna (Brunsvigia rosea) are long-lived perennials that tend to clump when left alone. Divide and transplant in late summer, after the foliage dies down and the bulbs are resting. If you transplant at any other time, they may not bloom for years! Dig the clumps and divide, then set the bulbs so the tops are even with ground level. Give the bulbs plenty of room by spacing 2-3 feet apart, and you won't have to dig and divide them for several years. Amaryllis grow best in filtered morning sunlight and afternoon shade.