The Q&A Archives: Lawn Term

Question: I don't understand what you mean by 'installing tiles'. Can you explain further?

Answer: Drain tiles are sometimes called a French Drain. In some situations, a French drain facilitates water drainage. A French drain is a ditch-like trench, filled with rock or gravel. The rock should round the top, preventing soil from covering the drain. The trench must slope at least 1 to 3 percent, and flow to an outlet.

You basically dig a trench about 12" deep and 6-8" wide and fill it with river rock or gravel. Excess water will run into this area and help keep your lawn from being soggy wet.

« Click to go to the homepage

» Ask a question of your own

Q&A Library Searching Tips

  • When singular and plural spellings differ, as in peony and peonies, try both.
  • Search terms are not case sensitive.

Today's site banner is by mcash70 and is called "Moss on a log"