The Q&A Archives: Cypress Vine yellowing

Question: I have had my Cypress Vine growing on my pergola for a couple months now. It gets full morning sun and part sun in the afternoon. I water it every morning. It is doing wonderful and growing like a beautiful weed. Two days ago we had an awful rain storm. Now at the base of my Cypress Vine, the leafs are yellowing and falling off!!!! I am hoping it is just overwatered, but I am nervous it might be the Ph. of the soil. Again, I haven't had this problem all summer, she seemed so happy!

Answer: I think the yellowing is probably a sign of over-saturated soil. Instead of watering every day (which tends to keep the roots close to the surface of the soil), water it deeply once or twice a week, depending upon weather. Most landscape trees and shrubs (and vines) need about one-inch of water per week. Once you've adjusted your watering practices, your cypress vine should perk up.