The Q&A Archives: Aster not flowering

Question: I live in south western Montana. I planted an assortment of perennials this spring/summer--aster,blanket flower,echinacea,coreopsis.They are all doing great, except the aster. I continually cut the dead/dying flowers from all of them and they send out new buds--except the aster. It is a 'Wartburg Star' aster. Any advice would be great...thanks.

Answer: Aster tongolensis ?Wartburg Star? is an extraordinarily floriferous Aster so I can understand your disappointment. They grow best in rich soil in full sunshine. If you're sure your plant is getting adequate sunshine and water, it may simply need to mature a little more before it flowers. Hold off on fertilizer (which may encourage lush, green growth at the expense of flowers). As long as it looks otherwise healthy, it may only need a little more time before it bursts into bloom. I know your patience will be amply rewarded. Enjoy!