The Q&A Archives: care for laurel Shipika

Question: I think they have mealy bugs. There is fuzzy white stuff on the branches. What should I use to get rid of these? Also when should they be fertilized. If I did not feed them in the spring, it it too late? The leaves have tured a pale green. Thanks

Answer: Janice,

Feed them in early spring and again in late summer with a light application if you feel they are lacking nutrition. The mealybugs can be controlled with a number of insecticide products. We generally avoid pesticide recommendations when there is not a labeled organic spray option available. We answer questions from all across the country, and there is considerable variation in product availability and local pest situations in different areas. Your County Extension Office can assist by recommending an appropriate, labeled spray product.
Their contact info is:
Jefferson County Extension Office
2121 Bldg, 8th Avenue North, Ste 1700
Birmingham, AL 35203-2387
Phone: (205) 325-5342