The Q&A Archives: Shade loving screens

Question: I am looking for several plants that provide good screening (6-8 feet tall minimum) and will grow well/keep in mostly shade (almost all shade). Decidiuous or evergreen, either are OK. I live in northeastern New Jersey.

Answer: There are several shrubs you could consider, such as Clethra alnifolia, Itea virginica, Ilex glabra, Prunus laurocerasus "Schipkaensis", and possibly also yews. Your selection will be based on the lighting as well as the soil conditions and the overall space available. Your local professionally trained nurseryman and/or county extension may have other suggestions based on a more detailed understanding of the growing conditions at the planting site, and your overall design goals. Good luck with your planting!