The Q&A Archives: Pest control

Question: What is the best pesticide for something eating flowers on a Stephanotis vine? I've noticed what resembles small aphids in the tubercle of the flower. Also, an occasional tiny worm aproximately 3/8's of an inch long. Would Shultzes or Bayer plant spray be an effective pesticide? How often would it be necessary to spray?

Will an occasional yellow leaf regrow in that location? Thanks for any info you may be able to supply.

Answer: I think the best approach is to target the insects you have identified - aphids and worms - rather than use a broad-spectrum insecticide, which might kill beneficial insects such as bees and wasps. Aphids can be controlled with applications of Insecticidal Soap. This product targets soft-bodied insects such as aphids but doesn't harm beneficials. Bt works well against caterpillars. It acts as a stomach poison so the pests will need to consume it before they die. Best wishes with your Stephanotis!