The Q&A Archives: dyng dwarf alberta spruce

Question: Last fall I planted 2 dwarf alberta spruce in a very large pot and placed them by my front doors.. it is under a large porch and does not get direct sunlight

This summer we experienced higher than normal temps... high 90's MANY days (we live outside of Atlanta). The weeks I was gone, the plants only got watered once a week.

They have turned completely brown (VERY BROWN!) and I removed most of the dead leaves but hate to throw them away. The limbs are still very flexible, as are the

Answer: Nancy,

I don't think they are salvageable. That plant needs sunlight, is not fond of heat, and certainly cannot take drought. It can only resprout from where there are living needles on a branch. I would replace them with some other plant you like that is better adapted to container culture in your area.