The Q&A Archives: caladium bulbs

Question: Last fall I dug up all of my caladium bulbs to save for spring planting. They did not produce. So I bought potted caladiums again (LOTS) and would like to save them for replanting next spring.. Any suggestions for saving them through the winter?

Answer: I'm not sure what happened to your caladiums! Let's hope you have better luck with your current crop. Here's how to keep them over the winter months: Carefully dig up the caladiums when the foliage droops and begins to yellow with the onset of cool fall temperatures (or wait until after the first frost). Place the plants in a warm, dry location for 1 or 2 weeks to cure. Afterwards, cut off the dry foliage and bury the tubers in dry peat moss or vermiculite. Store the tubers in a cool (50 to 55F), dry location.

Best wishes with your caladiums!