The Q&A Archives: royal purple smoke bush

Question: I have a beautiful monrovia royal purple smoke bush that I purchased from mel's nursery over a year ago. It is growing well, healthy but the leaves have turned green. There is only one tip of a branch with burgandy leaves and that looks like newer growth. It was deep purple earlier in the season and beautifully deep colored last fall. It is receiving full sunlight (facing south and slightly east on our property) good sandy loam with about 8-10 inches of premium I watering it too much? Is it the heat?? We are just north of spokane wa and our temps have been in the high 80's to low 100's for much of summer.
Anne Mannix

Answer: I've had a similar experience in my Seattle area garden, and our temperatures are much lower than yours. I'm afraid that your purple smoke bush will be much happier in a spot that receives protection from hot afternoon sunshine. If you can't move your plant, you may have to just put up with the color bleaching during the hottest months of the summer.

Best wishes with your garden!