The Q&A Archives: Eastern Snowball

Question: I bought my eastern snowball last year. This year, the plant has great folliage but no flowers. My question is two-fold:
1. What can i do over winter to insure I have blooms next summer?
2. How do I winterize this plant? Cut it back? Mulch?
many thanks,
ginger marshall

Answer: Your shrub needs to become fully rooted and established before it will bloom its best. Make sure the soil is kept evenly moist like a wrung out sponge (damp, not sopping wet or saturated and not dried out) during the growing season. Your plant will do best if you mulch year round with a flat layer of organic mulch about three inches deep, spread it over the root area but do not allow it to touch the stems. Do not cut it back now or in the spring as this will limit flowering; these shrubs need very little pruning. In spring, top dress with a good quality compost and/or a general purpose granular or slow release fertilizer with an analysis of 10-10-10 or similar. Read and follow the label directions, do not overfertilize. Hopefully it will bloom for you next year.