The Q&A Archives: Browning of Ligustrum japonicum 'Variegatum'

Question: Our variegated privets are turning brown. I don't see any obvious pests. The leaves are browning and sometimes curling up. Any suggestions as to what is happening. We've had them 5 years now and they were doing very well. The deer browsed them A LOT this spring early summer because there wasn't any rain/moisture for 10 months. The privets are on a drip/soaker system so they were watered and the only green thing around, I guess. But now the rains have come and everything is green accept the privets!!

Answer: Luanne,

Such symptoms usually point to a soil moisture extreme, either not enough or too much. Something is wrong in the roots. Your best course of action is to dig down a few inches around the plant in various spots to see if the soil is staying adequately moist and then water accordingly. It could also be that a root disease is affecting them but in most cases this is difficult to remedy.