The Q&A Archives: looking for a plant

Question: I'm looking for a particular plant. I don't know what the name of it is or where it originates from. It has not flowers but blooms about 3 to 6 inches, light purple in color and is fuzzy and soft. I had one years ago. It was in a hanging basket and I bought it in Tennesse. I had also seen one in Portland Oregon

Answer: I wonder if the plant in question is Love-Lies-Bleeding, also called Tassel Flower
(Amaranthus caudatus). This is an heirloom annual plant; Brilliant red seedheads dangle like dreadlocks from the tops of sturdy, 3-5' plants. They hold their color a long time, and are great in arrangements. Plant at the back of a bed with big tropicals like cannas, celosias, ornamental corn or castor bean. Amaranthus needs heat and a long season for best performance.