The Q&A Archives: canela tree

Question: Just bought a canela tree. There is little info on tag. please tell me what this lovely tree needs/ wants to stay healthy. thanks.

Answer: Canela is the common name for Miconia cinnamomifolia. It is also called black cinnamon, although it is not related to cinnamon trees at all. It is tropical in nature and has in fact overtaken many tropical forest areas of Brazil and Hawaii. It is considered an noxious weed in many regions. Your climate isn't exactly tropical, though, so I don't expect it will develop such a bad reputation in your neighborhood. You can keep your tree outdoors during the spring and summer, but plan to keep it indoors over the winter months. Outside provide bright shade and ample water; indoors give it bright light and keep the soil moist.

Enjoy your new plant!