The Q&A Archives: When is best time to cut by Iris and Day Lilies and reset ?

Question: I have lots of Day Lilies and Iris in the same area. As you know they usually multiply quickly. Question when should I prune them and when should I reset them. Both still have nice green healty looking foilage now in late August. I separated both 2 years ago and reset and now they need separating and resetting again. The first year after resetting the day lilies hardly bloomed, but the iris did well. (All did well this time).I cut them back and went right ahead and dug them up and re-planted in October 2 years ago.. Someone said I should have cut them back earlier like in Aug. then reset them in Oct. before the first Frost!! I live in Central GA. which puts me in zone 8-9 I think? I need to know now what is best to do??
Thank You, Esther Harrell

Answer: Esther,

Reset the iris plants in September or October.

The ideal time to transplant or divide your daylilies is in spring as the shoots begin to emerge, or immediately after bloom. You can cut back the bloom stalks in late summer after bloom if you wish but there is no need to cut back foliage at that time.