The Q&A Archives: Whether to leave in a pot on patio or plant in ground? Conditions?

Question: My friends just bought an August Beauty Gardenia (Monrovia) for my birthday. Please instruct whether I should repot and leave on patio or can I plant it in the ground?

Answer: Debra,

That is your choice. In general they prefer an acidic soil so if you plant it in the ground you will need to create a bed with composted bark and peat moss mixed into your soil to provide such a root zone condition. Either way, locate the plant where it can get morning sun and afternoon bright shade. Water enough to keep the soil moist. Mix a little Miracid into the water when you water the plant by following label instructions for the constant feed rate.