The Q&A Archives: shrubs

Question: I'm looking for two foundation plants to be placed on either side of my front door steps. It's a two story colonial with a six foot wide staircase with five steps. I'm looking for a plant that grows no higher than 10 feet. Do you have any suggestions?

Answer: Viburnums make excellent foundation plants. They are evergreen, flower in the spring and have persistent berries throughout the winter months which adds a little more interest. Here are a few for you to consider:
V. burkwoodi - Burkwood Viburnum
Upright in habit, thi species matures at 6 feet, with semi-snowball, fragrant, pink to white flowers in early spring. The fruits turn from red to black and the foliage, which is glossy, holds late into winter.

V. carlesi 'Compacta' - Compact Koreanspice Viburnum
This cultivar is compact and rounded in form, reaching 4 to 5 feet at maturity. The flowers are small, fragrant, semi-snowball, changing from pink in bud to white blossoms in early spring. The leaves are velvety-grey, and the fruit is blue-black.

V. dentatum - Arrowwood Viburnum
This is a native species that will mature in an upright rounded shape at 12 to 15 feet. It will withstand heavy shade and moist soil conditions. The flowers are flat, white clusters in mid-spring, and the fruit is blue- black.

V. dilatatum - Linden Viburnum
This species matures at 8 to 9 feet, with flowers occurring in late spring in flat, white clusters. It's one of the best of the fruiting types with numerous, colorful, small red berries. Cultivars 'Erie' and 'Oneida' are improved forms.

V. juddi - Judd Viburnum
Maturing at about 8 feet, this cultivar is spreading and rounded in habit. The flowers in early spring are semi-snowball, changing from pink in bud to white. The fruit is black.