The Q&A Archives: Grasses

Question: Hello,

I have Monrivia's Elijah Blue Fescue and Panic Grass. Will they grow again next spring/summer? Can I keep over winter or are they annuals?

Thanks and regards,
Ginger Marshall

Answer: The blue fescue should be hardy for you assuming it is planted in a well drained location that is not sopping wet during the winter or spring. By panic grass I think you may be referring to one of the many different types of Panicum virgatum. These are reliably winter hardy in your area as well. You will need to trim them both off short, close to the ground, to remove frost killed foliage. Do this in either late fall or early spring before they begin to grow again for the season. You might also maintain a layer of organic mulch around them, put it in a flat layer about two to three inches thick. Do not allow it to touch the foliage, just place it around the plants and not on top of them. Enjoy your grasses!