The Q&A Archives: Starting Anemone japonica from Seed

Question: I want to start Anemone japonica from seed. I have been reading that they're difficult and take special handling. <br><br>

Answer: They do require a process called "stratification", which means breaking the seed's dormancy through simulating winter conditions. All you need to do is place the seeds in a plastic bag with some moistened peat moss, and refrigerate them for 2-3 weeks. After this, sow seeds, barely covered with soil, in flats under a growlight. Keep temps around 70F for germination to occur. As the seedlings appear, transplant them to larger pots, and once they've put on a few more inches of growth, place them in the garden bed. <br>They're much easier to deal with after that - just give them partial shade, regular watering and mulch, and they should be happy.