The Q&A Archives: Timeless Beauty Magnolia

Question: I am requesting further information regarding Monrovia's Timeless Beauty Magnolia. The description under Monrovia's Key Benefits states this magnolia as

Answer: Evergreen magnolias are better planted in the spring in cold winter locations such as yours.

When speaking about trees, crown is the term used to indicate the branches. Magnolias are generally described as pyramidal shaped, meaning the branches are noticeably wider at the base of the tree and the overall shape narrows as it goes higher, in profile it is triangular. Most evergreen magnolias are only about two thirds as wide as they are tall. In this case, the proportion is different and the tree is a wider than it is tall. The mature size range is roughly 15 to 20 feet tall and 20 to 25 feet wide. Unfortunately I do not have a photo to send you.

I would caution you with this tree on winter hardiness. This tree is considered hardy into zone 6. However, your zip code places you in zone 6A, the coldest part of zone 6. Depending on your microclimate, or in an exposed or windy location, it might actually be as cold as zone 5. For this reason I would suggest you consider only the hardiest of the southern magnolias, such as Bracken's Brown Beauty which is considered reliably hardy into zone 5.

Also be sure to site the tree in a sheltered location with protection from winter winds, in a spot with soil that is acidic, organic and humusy, and evenly moist and yet well drained. Your local professional nursery staff should be able to help you determine if you have a planting site that is suited to these trees. If not, they should be able to suggest a substitute.

I'm sorry I don't have a photo to send you. Perhaps your local nurseryman will be aware of a mature tree growing in your area you could go look at.