The Q&A Archives: Leland Cypress

Question: My tree's are starting to turn orange on the branches. It first starts out on one or two branches, and then within two weeks the whole tree is a burnt orange. The needles are not brittle, and the branches still seem to have life in them. What could be causing this? I would send pictures, but I don't know how to attach them to this email.

Answer: Stacey,

Unfortunately we are not able to receive digital photos in our Q&A system. The orange coloring is probably due to heat/drought stress but it could be due to a fungal disease of the foliage or stems. It is not a good sign however and you should take a sample of the plant and a photo to your County Extension Office to see if they can make a more specific diagnosis and suggest an appropriate course of action.