The Q&A Archives: Genetically engineered tomatoes for beta carotene

Question: Does Burpee have a genetically engineered tomato high in beta carotene? If so, what is the name, so I may get some seed. Is this plant designed to grow in southeastern Oklahoma? If you do not have the seed where may I get them?

Answer: None of the varieties listed in the Burpee catalog are bred as high-carotene tomatoes. However, Seeds of Change ( has a variety named 'Caro Rich', which has orange fruit "...highest in Vitamin A of any [they've] tested." This is an open-pollinated variety developed through plant breeding, not through genetic manipulation in a lab. You can save seeds from your crop, plant them next year, and the plants will come true from seed, whereas a hybrid may not. 'Caro Rich' should do well in your area.