The Q&A Archives: My Dwarf Alberta Spruce is brown

Question: I purchased a Monrovia Dwarf Alberta Spruce last summer. This summer half of it is brown. What might the problem be? I did water it almost every day last summer.

Answer: Based on your description I am not certain what has happened to your dwarf Alberta spruce. Discoloration on one side can be caused by a dog urinating on it repeatedly, but it can also be caused by a corresponding stem or branch (or roots) being damaged, by accidental herbicide contact (eg weed and feed from a rotary spreader) or by a disease or insect problem. It may even be caused by winter weather (wind burn or sun burn). Wish I had some more insight to share but it's difficult to diagnose a plant problem without actually seeing it.

Best wishes with your spruce!