The Q&A Archives: boxwood is brown

Question: I bought several boxwoods and I planted those on my front yard 2 months ago. I have noticed during this month that one of them is almost complete brown or bronze color,ranches are very soft, I can see only one little new leave. Does it mean that my boxwood is still alive? I am concern that maybe it is dying of a disease or some thing, What do you recomend me? Can I remove it from the ground and protect the other plants from a possible disease?

Answer: Based on your description, it sounds like your boxwood is not going to make it. I would suggest you consult with your local county extension and/or the retailer where you purchased it (especially if there was a warranty) to obtain a specific diagnosis of the problem. It is possible there is a problem that could spread to the others, or it may be a case of transplant shock or poor rooting for just that one plant. Unfortunately, this type of symptom is very difficult to diagnose long distance. I'm sorry I can't be more specific for you.