The Q&A Archives: plants for pool planters

Question: I'm looking for some ideas for tropical plants for my pool planter. Something that doesn't have deep roots and not too big. I'd like some suggestions. Thank You

Answer: Plants chosen to landscape swimming pool areas should meet three requirements. Branches, foliage and flowers should be smooth, not bristly, prickly, sharp or thorny, the plants should be as litter-free as possible, and they should be able to tolerate splashes of chlorine treated water. In your Southern California garden you can choose from dozens of potential plants. Palms and tree ferns are first choices in trees, Acacia and Firmiana simplex (Chinese Parasol Tree) are next on the list. Camellia, Lantana, Viburnum davidii, Fatsia japonica (Japanese Aralia), Junipers and Pittosporum tobira are all good choices for dense hedging or shrubs, and flower choices include Lily of the Nile, Alstroemeria, Colocasia (Elephant's Ear), Coreopsis, Gazania, Daylily, Kniphofia (Red-Hot Poker), Limonium, and Gaillardia. With these suggestions in mind, you should be able to put together a functional and attractive poolside landscape.