The Q&A Archives: dark green grass

Question: I have been doing all that I can to get my yard to look more rich and full. What can I do, or use to make my grass darker and fuller?

Answer: There are two types of grasses used for lawns; cool season and warm season. Cool season grasses go dormant in the summer when temperatures are warm; warm season grasses are green in the summer but go dormant in the fall and winter. If you have cool season grasses, fall weather (cooler temperatures and natural rainfall) will green them up in a hurry so there's no need to treat your lawn with anything. If you have warm season grasses or a combination of warm and cool season grasses you can make a fall application of fertilizer to help them green up. Use a 10-18-20 ratio of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium to help the roots and stems get ready for winter weather.

Best wishes with your lawn!