The Q&A Archives: foundation plants

Question: I'm looking for a shrub thats not too big for the back corner of my house right by the downspout. What suggestions do you have for that location?

Answer: There are many plants you could use. Your selection depends on how much sun hits that spot and at what time of day, what kind of soil is there, how wet/dry the soil is and how windy it is especially in the winter time. (I should mention that as part of your normal home maintenance routine, your downspout should have an extender on it to direct the water away from the foundation of your house so that spot should not be especially wet compared to the rest of the foundation area.) I would suggest you consult with your local professionally trained nurseryman to analyze the growing conditions at that corner and identify plants that would thrive there, then select the one of those that you like best. Enjoy your new shrub!