The Q&A Archives: Hosta Info, and Rose of Sharon

Question: Hi.... I can transplant large hostas now, can't I? Its not too late, right? Also, is it too late to prune my old privet hedge back? It is about 6 feet tall and I would like to cut it back to 4 feet.

Also, I see many Rose of Sharon bushes in bloom now and I love them when they are small.... about 5-6 feet.

Would it be possible, with a little pruning each year, to keep one that size? I dont have the room for it to get gigantic and would love to keep it small.
If so, when is a good time to prune them?

Thanks a bunch.... Dorian

Answer: You can transplant hostas now, but expect the foliage to wilt and look puny for the remainder of the season. Or, you can dig and transplant them in early spring, just as they begin leafing out.

It is a bit late in the season to cut your privet hedge back. Pruning encourages a flush of growth which may not have time to fully harden off before first frost. If possible, wait until early spring to do your hedge pruning.

Rose of Sharon is by nature a large shrub. You can prune to keep it at about 6' if you start early in the season and do some selective pruning throughout the summer months. Since it blooms on new wood, pruning it back each spring will encourage lots of new flowering stems.

Best wishes with your landscape!