The Q&A Archives: Balboa Sunset Trumpet Vine

Question: We would like to plant this vine for shade on our house (Sante Fe style with flat roof. If we plant it in a Large planter on the roof will it be stable enough to vine down 15 ft.? Or if we plant it on the ground will it be able to support itself on PVC (small) trelis?
We would like to plant on roof (with water to it) but don't want it to break or ?

Answer: Here is Monrovia's comment: Vigorous growth is eager to climb and cover by self clinging, but needs some help when young. So, be prepared to use plant twisty ties or similar until it takes off. Trumpet vines can become quite large and sprawling, needing very sturdy support, so think about that with your trellis. My trumpet vine pulled out/tipped over various trellis styles until I sunk Rebar into the ground! I'm sorry, but I can't really make a recommendation about stability for planting on your roof.