The Q&A Archives: Japanese elm

Question: I could not find the Japanese elm tree on your web site. My neighbor has some and suggested your web site to read up on any tree before i plant in order to find out how the roots behave. Do I have the name right?

Answer: Unfortunately, I am not certain which tree you have in mind. There are a number of different elms (Ulmus) that might be commonly called Japanese elm. You might also be thinking of a Zelkova of some kind. I would suggest you work with your local county extension and/or professionally trained and certified nurseryman to see if any of these trees might be suited to the site you have in mind. If not, they should be able to suggest a substitute that would do well for you. Good luck with your new tree!