The Q&A Archives: transplanting

Question: I have three trees (1) tulip poplar and (2) Sascatoon berry, in pots. When would be th best time to plant them in ground. Aslo I have to transplant a holly (blue boy), should I wait until later in the fall? And I have several perennials I need to move to make way for a deck, should I wait until fall as well?
As always, thank you for your help! James Preece

Answer: With container plants it is usually best to plant them immediately, it is difficult to hold them under home conditions and keep them healthy. Be sure to cut or unwind any encircling roots at planting time. After planting, be sure to mulch with several inches of organic mulch in a flat layer over the root area. Then water as needed to keep the soil evenly moist until it freezes; it should be damp like a wrung out sponge.

Hollies are usually better moved in late winter to very early spring. Try to take all of the rootball if you can. IF you leave many roots behind, trim back the top growth to compensate for the root loss.

Most perennials can be moved in early fall as soon as the weather breaks -- no longer the blistering hot temperatures and seasonal rain on the way. Again, water to keep the soil moist until it freezes and use the mulch.

Enjoy your new deck!