The Q&A Archives: A sick Hebe

Question: I bought four Hebe Wiri Blush this spring and planted them with pride in front of our living room. Three of them have done very well but the fourth turned a corner several weeks ago and appears to be dying away. How can this be? What can be done?

Answer: You didn't describe the symptoms so I can only offer general information on Hebe's. They grow best in full sunshine and well draining soil, and they appreciate protection from drying winds. If 3 are thriving, the site is probably right, but the drainage may be less than perfect for the roots of the ailing plant. I'd dig it up and assess the situation. Check to see if the roots are healthy (creamy white inside; dead or dying roots will be brown or rusty colored). If they're off-color or mushy, you'll need to correct the drainage. Hope this is helpful!