The Q&A Archives: Blood Vein Bananas

Question: I want to grow a Blood Vein Banana Tree. How do I grow this plant? Can it be planted in a container or does it have to be planted in the ground?

Answer: There are many varieties of Musa paradisiaca, the banana tree. The roots are hardy to about 35 degrees on these tree-like tropicals, but the leaves and trunk can die down to the ground in cold winter weather. Established plants will regrow new tops in the spring after frost has wiped them out. The key here is that it takes 2-3 years for the roots to establish themselves. If your garden regularly experiences frost, I'd plant it in a container so you can move it indoors during the winter months. Banana trees like morning sun but filtered afternoon shade in Houston and they appreciate copious amounts of water during the spring and summer months.