The Q&A Archives: Small Courtyard leading to front door

Question: I have a very small courtyard that is the first thing people see coming to my front door. Our houses are 0 lot lines which mean that the side of my neighbors house is actually in my yard. I can not put a trellis on their house or grow any thing on their house. I want to block the view of their house with some sort of screening plants. To make matters more difficult I get 2-3 hrs of HOT sun there. From 2:30-
5:00 in the afternoon. I think it is a south wall. Any suggestions for me? Thanks Kelli

Answer: In such a restricted space, I'd recommend planting upright, free-standing shrubs such as boxwoods, junipers, or even lavender. Dwarf nandina will grow upright and soften the space between the wall and the courtyard; skyrocket junipers would look nice, too. All of these plants are low-maintenance and adaptable to many different growing conditions. You can balance everything will brightly flowering perennials such as salvia, torch glow bougainvillea and poppies. Best wishes with your landscape!