The Q&A Archives: ornamental conifer or evergreen

Question: I have a small space (3 X 8 ft) next to 3 new china hollies. I want a special evergreen for this space in memory of my Mom. It gets full sun and is next to a red brick wall leading up to the front door. What do you recommend?

Answer: You might try a dwarf Camellia sasanqua (several flower color options), or an Indian Hawthorn (Raphiolepis umbellata ovata) which blooms either white or pink in the spring. A final suggestion is the smaller growing 'PJM' rhododendron. The small, evergreen foliage is dark green in summer, but turns to a maroon-purple in the fall. The flower buds (hardy to -35?F) produce bright lavender pink blossoms in mid to late April. The mature height and spread of the 'PJM' rhododendron is approximately 4 to 6 feet. Several selections of 'PJM' are available and include 'Black Satin' (winter foliage is shiny, coal black), 'PJM Elite' (blossoms are slightly more pink), and 'PJM Compact' (4 feet tall, lavender pink flowers).

Hope one of these suggestions is just right for your landscape.