The Q&A Archives: Plant Care

Question: Please tell me how to protect my beautiful Pony Tail Fern over the winter without lifting it. It's in my garden directly in front of the house facing East. I live in Suffolk County, NY and our winter temperatures go below 20 degrees.

Answer: Your zip code places you in winter hardiness zone 6B with average winter lows to between zero and 5 degrees below zero. This plant, Asparagus densiflorus 'Myers', is only winter hardy to zone 9 -- lows in the 20's (above zero.) Unfortunately there is no way you can protect it enough to survive the winter outside. You can however dig it up and grow as a house plant during the winter. Or, you could plan on replanting a new plant each spring. I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging.