The Q&A Archives: everblooming gardenia veichii

Question: This is called an evergreen. How much should I trip it back it is getting top heavy and the branches are bushy. It is not blooming right now and it is very green but needs to be trimmed back and how far to the ground should I cut it back it is about 5 feet high in some areas. but I would like it to be more on the bottom instead of so top heavy.

Answer: Your gardenia will begin growing again and flowering now that the weather is cooling off. You can prune it now in anticipation of additional blooms. A general rule of thumb is to prune off no more than one-third of the plant in any one pruning session. If you want to reduce the size more than that, prune it down by one-third now, then prune it back again next spring. To keep your gardenia bushy rather than lanky, pinch out the tips of the stems every few weeks. This will force new growth in the center of the plant.

Enjoy your gardenia!