The Q&A Archives: Front border garden in med/deep shade

Question: We have two sections of garden we are now redoing. In front of home facing N/NE. Very little sun (and shaded by large maple). Ideas are a variety of Taxus (3-4') and/or 3'-4'Cherry Laurel and/or Acuba and/or Andromeda.
Deer can be problem but I have over 100 hostas growing in the front of house (in front of this garden I'm redoing).
I have selected several of your plants at the Farm Nursery in Green Village, NJ.
Height: no more than 5'-6'
Sun: less than 3hours per day
zone 6
Soil: Great loam to sandy
Definately want evergreen

Azaleas and Rhodies did not do well in this area.
Your recommendations?

Thank you very much,
Clancey Mitchell
(a very satisfied Monrovia customer)

Answer: The aucuba will do well in deep shade, and needs to be shaded in the winter as well as during the summer; it also needs organic and humusy, evenly moist yet well drained soil. The yew and cherry laurel will also tolerate shade. The Andromeda however really needs some direct sun, preferably about a half day of morning sun. Unfortunately, all of these are subject to deer browse so you may want to take protective measures, especially during the winter when evergreens are an attractive food source.