The Q&A Archives: Bougainvillea

Question: I have had my bougainvillea for about 8 months and it was almost dead when i got it - all of the flowers fell off. Now it is bushy and green, but hasn't flowered again. Can you give me some advice about getting it to flower? Thank you!

Answer: Bougainvilleas bloom in a 5-6 weeks cycle and they tend to bloom better if they are kept on the dry side. Perhaps this is because in their native habitate they flower after a rainfall that ends a drought. In any event, provide as much sunshine as possible - the less direct sun, the fewer the blooms. You didn't mention whether or not you'd pruned your bougainvillea. These plants produce flowers on new wood that develops on old wood. You can try pruning it back a bit to force new flowering stems. Be sure to give it full sunshine for best blooming. Enjoy!