The Q&A Archives: Geraniums in Florida

Question: Will Geraniums (Big Red) will do well here? They will only will get sun during the morning. Is there a difference between hybrid seed and standard? Which one should I get?

Answer: Geraniums do best in full sun. They will tolerate partial shade and with you having full morning sun, I don't believe you would have any problem. I wouldn't hesitate to try the Big Red on page 34 of Burpee's 1998 catalog. There are many more on page 35. I believe all of them would do very well for you.<br><br>Prepare your soil with 2 or 3 inches of organic matter. It would be best to take a sample of your soil to your County Extension Office at 5339 County Road 579S, Seffner, FL. The telephone number is (813)744-5519. They will check the pH of your soil and tell you if lime is needed. There is little or no charge for this service. Fertilize every two months lightly with a 6-6-6 fertilizer or a slow release fertilizer, such as Osmocote. If you use Osmocote, fertilize every three months. Keep moist, but not wet.<br><br>Geraniums make good container plants to place in sunny areas<br>about your home.