The Q&A Archives: When to Start Seeds Indoors in CT

Question: I'm going to start some Impatiens seeds from Burpee in the house. It says to plant them 8-10 weeks before planting (after danger of frost). When is that in the middle of Connecticut? I know it varies might it be? <br>

Answer: You're right, it vaires, and since impatiens are far from frost tolerant, you should plant them later than sooner. Your last frost usually falls somewhere between April 15 and May 1, but don't plan to plant the impatiens outside til mid-May. If asneaky frost hits, all your hard work will be for naught. Mid-March is a good time to start them. <br><br>Transplants also require "hardening off", a process of gradually exposing tender plants to the elements, takes about a week (more or less, depending on the flexibilty of your schedule). Place them outside for a couple of hours the first day, in a place sheltered from wind and strong sunlight. Increase the time and reduce protection each day, and they should toughen right up!