The Q&A Archives: Windowboxes at the Beach

Question: I am planning what to grow this summer on a balcony overlooking the beach on Long Island, New York. I was planning to have a windowbox with portulaca, verbena, gomphrena (there is a dwarf variety available), heliotrope, nierembergia and morning glories as well as additional containers containing moon vines and miniature daylilies. Can you tell me how you think these plants will fare in containers in full sun (a southwest exposure) in the salty ocean air?

Answer: Since the plants won't be subjected to direct salt spray (will they?), I think they will all be fine in that environment. I'm not aware of any particular sensitivity to the salty air. <br><br>If you were choosing long-lived trees, shrubs, and perennials, I would certainly try to choose well-adapted plants. But for window boxes and containers, I think you'll be fine. Just be sure to keep an eye out on watering--containers, and especially windowboxes, in full sun can dry out quickly.<br><br>I can almost feel that salt air!!