The Q&A Archives: Growing large, compact pansy plants

Question: I have been told that the very large bloomed, compact pansies I have seen in Memphis TN flower beds have been treated with a plant hormone to keep them from having small blooms becoming and leggy. Is there a hormone that I can buy to treat nursery bought pansy plants. Do they have to be treated by the supplier rather than the consumer?

Answer: It is true that many bedding plant growers use chemical growth regulators in the production of their nursery stock to assure the plants have an even growth rate and will be ready to bloom when the plants go to market. There are many plant growth regulators available but all must be applied in specific amounts at specific times during the growth cycle. I don't think any are available for general use by the public. You can achieve nearly the same results by simply pinching out the growing tips of your pansy plants and removing spent flowers, along with some of the stem. Pinching the plants back will encourage additional branching which will keep the plants compact. Best wishes with your pansies!