The Q&A Archives: Abyssinian Banana

Question: Planted a Abyssinian Banana in my back yard beginning of June 2006. It has reached the height of 11', Would like to know how I can help the plants survive over the fall and winter months?

Answer: Banana plants are frost-tender so the tops will die down at 28F. The roots are hardy to about 25F. Even with a heavy mulch over the root system, it isn't likely that the roots will survive outdoors. In your cold winter region you'll want to dig your plant and overwinter it indoors. It isn't too practical to transport an eleven foot plant and grow it in your living room, so you can either allow the first frost to kill the tops back, or you can cut the top of the plant off, dig the roots, pot them up and set them in a bright area indoors. The roots will produce a new shoot and new leaves. Next spring you can take the plant back outdoors and enjoy it until frost threatens again.

Best wishes with your banana tree!