The Q&A Archives: Which magnolia is right for my needs?

Question: Hi, I have a bed (next to the corner of my house) in front of a large, west-facing window. It is about 8' wide by 8' deep and somewhat triangular shaped . I want a small, decorative magnolia for it. The magnolia will be the cornerstone of the bed with small plants underneath. I live in a 1920's English-cottagte style home (Sunset zone 20/21), so I want a tree that will match the style. Would a Saucer Magnolia be a good fit or a Lilliputian? If so, could you recommend a specific variety? I was thinking of

Answer: I would vote for planting Lilliputian (Magnolia x soulangeana ?Lilliputian?) This tree typically grows 18? tall and 10-15? wide. It's one of the smaller Magnolias and the pink flower color would be perfectly at home in a cottage garden. A slightly larger tree is Little Gem Magnolia. The flowers are white and fragrant and the leaves are glossy green above and fuzzy below, which might add a bit more interest to the garden. If it makes any difference to you, Lilliputian is deciduous and Little Gem is evergreen.

Best wishes with your new magnolia tree!